wea-ew exec bd 11.04.09 001Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does. ~William James

Every day the news gives us the bad news on the economic horizon. Rarely is there an uptick in the tone, nor a believable prediction of better times to come. The education front is often not much more optimistic, with the emphasis on testing, “failing schools,” the threat of closure, loss of jobs and doing more with fewer resources. So one wonders….why are educators still “hanging in there?”

I asked some of our members around the Council the question, “In spite of everything you read and hear; what is STILL good about working with students?”

Here are their answers. I’m sure you will find them as inspiring as I did:

Janet Camp, Washtucna EA: It’s all about the kids. We want the kids to be the best they can be – not just academically, but to become socially responsible citizens.

Diane Leffel, Ritzville EA: Working with the kindergarten kids is still a joy.

Melissa Martin, Mead: It’s an opportunity to make a difference in a kid’s life.

Rae Scott, Pullman CPEA: It is still good to work with kids because they are our future!

Curtis Rowsey, Newport EA: Walking in and seeing their bright, smiling faces, especially at this time of year, and hearing their stories about summer. Education is about kids building a better life for themselves. I like watching for that “Ah ha!” moment.

Scott Knowles, Central Valley EA: The focus of education is working with kids, and developing the relationship. I enjoy helping kids work through their struggles to learn, and become proud of their accom-plishments.

April Denigan, Nine Mile Falls CPEA: Despite the economy, we’re continuing to register kids. Tomorrow we begin a conditioning camp for boys and girls to help them get ready for fall sports. This camp is great for new kids, helping them meet others before school begins. It’s great to see that kids are excited about coming back to school!

Rose Waterbury, East Valley EA: It’s still fun to work with kids because they arrive each new school year full of possibilities. They’re like flowers ready to burst open! It’s gratifying to see them leave at the end of the year whether academically or socially, with more than they came with.

Julie Magee, Cheney EA: The children are enthusiastic, eager learners. Every day brings joy, pride and a sense of accomplishment to each of us! Children do not know about D.C. politics or dwindling state budgets. They do thrive because we are well-educated and loving, caring teachers.

Lisa Loucks, Rosalia EA: When kids are having difficulty in the classroom, like struggling students in Math, suddenly get the concept and the light bulb comes on, that is what does it!

Ginny Powers, Spokane Community College: What I do is meaningful. Often these are first time college students. They can now reach their dreams and they never thought they could. Being a part of this is very rewarding.

Dr Seuss: Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.

A Message from Bev Schaefer, Council President